Question:
is Scotland a country and why?
2006-04-08 05:01:27 UTC
is Scotland a country and why?
Eight answers:
Ian
2006-04-08 05:18:18 UTC
Scotland is a country for several reasons:

1) For centuries it was an independent kingdom

2) It became a constituent COUNTRY of the United Kingdom

3) It has its own parliament

4) It has its own language (Gaelic) and distinctive way of speaking English.

5) It has a strong cultural identity linked to national dress, landscape, food, dance and sport that differs it substantially from its neighbours.
eucharisto_deo
2006-04-08 23:23:35 UTC
Copy and paste answers tell you nothing!

Is it a country? That all depends on who you are and how you see things. It does have it's own regional assembly and does have some autonomy, much as I guess a state in the US governs itself but is still part of the USA. Scotland does have it's own currency which isn't legal tender in the rest of the UK and lots of little quirks, e.g. you can still use currency from other parts of the UK in Scotland, teachers in the rest of the UK have to re-qualify to teach in Scotland, but Scoottish teachers can work in the rest of the UK. and a few other strange things.

Does that make it a separate country? Unfortunately not. It may have it's own national football team, but it isn't as yet a sovereign state. That has to be the final definition of being a country (independent from the rule of others and totally self governing).

But we still talk about the country of Scotland! It's probably more a state in reality.
IBL
2006-04-08 12:03:28 UTC
Scotland (Alba in Gaelic) is a nation in northwest Europe and a constituent country of the United Kingdom. The country occupies the northern third of the island of Great Britain, shares a land border to the south with England, and is bounded by the North Sea to the east, the Atlantic Ocean to the north and west, and the North Channel and Irish Sea to the south-west. Apart from the mainland, Scotland consists of over 790 islands.

The capital, Edinburgh, is one of Europe's largest financial centres. Scottish waters consist of a large sector of the North Atlantic and the North Sea, containing the largest oil reserves in the European Union.

The Kingdom of Scotland was an independent state until 1 May 1707, when the Acts of Union resulted in a political union with the Kingdom of England to create the Kingdom of Great Britain. Scotland continues to constitute a separate state and jurisdiction in Public International Law. Scots law, the Scottish education system and the Church of Scotland have been three cornerstones contributing to the continuation of Scottish culture and Scottish national identity since the Union.
firefightersbabe
2006-04-08 12:07:01 UTC
Of course it is! Scotland is a country which makes up the United Kingdom. It is in fact, the best country within the UK, (apart from the fact that I live there!) because lots of you American people have descendants who came from here.

There are a vast range of landscapes in Scotland, ranging from mountainous, gorgeous sandy beaches, woodland, up to the minute Cities, and everything in between. I would thoroughly recommend a trip here!

PS.... I didnt copy and paste the wikipedia article - i thought up my own answer!!!
2006-04-08 15:24:28 UTC
Yes, it is a country. I love the 'and why...' bit of your question!?

They 'why' can either be answered in a historical or political context - as a previous respondent has done, or you may want to ponder on why any geographical area is 'a country'.....
donniedarkside
2006-04-14 23:44:38 UTC
scottish currency is legal tender in the rest of the uk, any money marked sterling is legal tender anywhere in the uk and to refuse legal tender is a breach of trading standards
robalmendra
2006-04-09 22:35:59 UTC
i thing is an island part of uk
jaymachp
2006-04-10 21:29:24 UTC
coarse it is .its got its ain fitba team !