Question:
Jimmy Chungs Buffet Restaurant in Edinburgh, how much are drinks?? Do youget free refills?
2008-01-25 15:22:15 UTC
Hi there i am going to Jimmy Chungs one Saturday night and i know it costs £11.99 pp which is reasonable considering the reviews it receives. I was just wondering how much the drinks cost here. It will more than likely only be soft drinks that we have. You see i dont know if anyone else is the same as me but i totally grudge paying like £2 - £3 for a soft drink which is draught as it costs absolute pennies. However i wouldnt mind paying that if you got free refills. Its rip off britain eh? I holidayquite frequently to America and Canada and they have free refills on soft drinks regardless were you go including all the fast food places. I want to know how much it costs cos if its too much theni will just go to superdrug and buy a bottle of Dr Pepper for 95p buy one get one free, lol. That will do me. Thats how they make more money out of you. My mate swears they deliberately put extra salt in the food just to get you to order more drinkks. Refills should come as standard!!!!
Six answers:
Lew
2008-01-25 16:22:19 UTC
I agree with you entirely, unfortunately every time you order a drink / refill you will be charged unless you ask for water. The food is good and you can eat as much as you can handle. Enjoy your meal.
2016-12-16 18:51:52 UTC
Jimmy Chungs Edinburgh
Jim
2008-01-29 05:03:07 UTC
If you are going on a Saturday night then you will pay £13.99 per head. I'm afraid you will find that drinks are around £2 each for a soft drink and there are no free refills :-( I find the food is very salty and this may be a deliberate ploy to get you to eat less or drink more. You might want to consider going to a proper Chinese restaurant such as the Kwelin or the Orchid Lodge. It will be a bit more expensive but a lot more enjoyable. Enjoy your meal :-)
2008-01-27 14:15:22 UTC
I have been to Jimmy Chungs, Grindley St a few times with work. It is basically McDonalds chinese style. The food would be unrecognisable to a Chinese person and the concept is based on quantity rather than quality. Having said that, if you enjoy sticky, over-salted food - it's ok and there is a fun element to the whole thing. The drinks are not cheap and you will be charged for everything including water.
Basement Bob
2008-01-26 08:32:21 UTC
Jimmy Chungs is a well known Oriental Buffet Restaurant which have a restaurant in 5 out of the 6 Cities of Scotland. Those are Aberdeen,Dundee,Glasgow,Stirling and Inverness. There are two branches in Edinburgh City Centre, one is on Waverley Bridge and the other is in Grindlay Street. My review is based on the Waverley Bridge branch which is the first restaurant you come to once you leave Waverley Station so therefore it is probably to no surprise that is is always busy.

Prices vary between £5.49 for lunch on Monday-Fridays and over £10 for Fridays and Saturdays evenings.

when you come into the restaurant, a waiter or waitress will ask you how many people and then they will show you to your table and they will then immediately ask you what you'd like to drink which seems absolutely daft considering you have only just sat down. Drinks are not cheap here so i would not recommend buying too many drinks and also because it fills you up quicker!.

After the waitrer/waitress has taken your drinks orders you are free to grab some food. There are lots of choices which are divided up into desserts,main courses, soups,salad bar. Popular dishes are on offer for example lemon chicken,fried rice,spare ribs,spring rolls,chicken in black bean sauce,chicken and sweetcorn soup etc.

The overall quality is very consistent and i particularly enjoyed the lemon chicken with special fried rice and aromatic duck. The desserts were nice and consistent too-especially the jelly and ice cream.

I'd say that Jimmy chungs offers good value for money but you get QUANTITY and NOT quality!. Nor is this authentic oriential/hong kong food at all. However if you want a big feast then this is superb
blueglasses
2008-01-26 06:16:47 UTC
i love jimmy chungs!

i think refillare free 4 kids under 10. and ur friend is right about the salt thing